Thursday, January 3, 2013

January **Low Spend Month**

Our Family is declaring January a Low Spend Month instead of a No Spend Month. Since January is a relatively quiet month it seemed like a good time to have one. Our hope is to be able to save a little and and maybe pay down some bills, so yesterday we sat down and made a plan for the month. We figured about how much we could resonably scrape by on, made a budget for the month with all of our bills due, and now have a plan. Here is what our Low Spend Month looks like:

Gas-$290

Spending money ( lunches out, sonic drinks, ect.) $290

Groceries $300 ( know this is a terrible stretch but I'm up for the challenge)

Eating out $30

Misc. $40

Total $950


Honestly I'm a little nervous to take this on, because the numbers don't look low to me but I also feel I have to be realistic or I'll set myself up for failure. Ultimatly, my goal would be to come in under budget by January 31st but I guess we'll see how "low" I can keep my spending. I will update this throughout the month on each line item and how it's holding up.

***Update

1/2/2013 Spent $170 on Groceries, Spending money was issued, my husband got $80, I got $50. I have $25 left of my $50 after a trip to Baskin Robbins and one to McDonalds. I also spent $50 on gas, this is what the numbers look like now.

Gas $240

Spending money, not issued $160 (I still have $25 of my $50 issued, I don't keep track of Hubby's, it's not my problem if he runs out:) he's pretty good a stretching it though)

Groceries $130

Eating out $30

Misc $40

Total Remaining for the month $600



2 comments:

  1. I spent just $250 the other day at the grocery store and there is no way that will last all month...although I wish it would. I bought enough chicken and a big thing of sausage (to cook and then freze for later dinners)so hopefully that will help when it is nowhere near payday yet....shockingly, we still need to eat. ;) Good luck! Maybe I'll catch some tips. I did save $20 with coupons on my last grocery run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $300 is going to be a challenge but we'll see. Good job on the coupons, I haven't even clipped any in a month. It seems there are less and less of ones for things I use. Oh and I plan on taking you up soon on the Blog advice if you're still willing to help:)

    ReplyDelete