Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Success With Pancakes!

I have a history of not being very good with pancakes but my kids love them and I knew it would be great to make a double batch so I could freeze some. Yesterday I was feeling pretty confident that I could make it happen, so confident in fact that I went a head and whipped up a double batch. This is scary to me because I really hate waste of any kind so if I hadn't been successfull I would have wasted not just one batch but two. Now mind you it's just Bisquick and I do have an awesome from scratch recipe from my mom but I'm not going to push it. Well much to my surprise they turned out beautifully. Raegan even helped cook most of them (maybe that's why) she experimented with sprinkles and chocolate chips. I now have three freezer bags with pancakes in the freezer for another morning!

Also yesterday I made several batches of Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas for The Kitchen Fairy, one was our supper. Instead of boiling all of the chicken I grilled three of the breast on the George Foreman (this takes 6 minutes, amazing!). I've been meaning to do this because I love that already cooked chicken at the grocery store, it's great for quick salads, which we love and other things. My one problem is I'm super cheap and it doesn't fit into my $50 a week budget. I did put them in the freezer but I'm afraid I should have flash frozen them. Isn't that what you call it when you lay them out in the freezer to freeze up quickly before you bag them up so they won't stick together? Well I think I should have done that and I didn't, I guess I'll find out.

My mom has managed to not only create an amazing Enchilada Sauce recipe (which is now a top secret The Kitchen Fairy recipe:) but also an equally amazing Spanish Rice one as well (not top secret:)
So yesterday I tried my hand at it and although it was not as good as hers it was good enough. It made so much, like I hoped it would, that I was able to freeze two more meals worth!!!

So at the end of the day and I know it sounds like I spent all day in the kitchen but I didn't, I put away the following in the freezer:

Pancakes (2 meals)
(3) Grilled Chicken Breast
Spanish Rice (2 meals)

I also made 4 pans of Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas, one we ate last night (we do have leftovers) and the others to be delivered today.

These are the things I am hoping will keep me within the budget I'm wanting and create more ease at meal time.

2 comments: